ZANZIBAR ELECTRICITY CORPORATION
- Customer focus - give first priority to customer’s needs and satisfaction.
- Team work - work together so as to have effectiveness and efficiency.
- Responsibility and Accountability - ability to act independently and justify actions or decisions.
- Transparency and Excellence - free and open flow of communication from top to bottom level of the Corporation, outside of the Corporation and extremely good in working
- Professionalism and integrity - to work professionally, honestly and morally.
The development of the electricity sector in Zanzibar started in the beginning of the 20th century. In the year 1908, coal-fired generators were first installed to provide Electricity in Unguja Island. In 1954 the coal technology was abandoned and diesel Generators introduced and used until 1980, when Unguja Island was connected to the Tanzania National Grid, through a 132kV 45MW sub-marine cable, in 2013 new Submarine was connected with capacity of 132kV 100MW which is still in use to date.
Public electricity supply in Pemba Island was installed in 1958, with the Commissioning of the Tibirinzi power station. Over the years additional small generating units were installed by the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar, in response to the growing demand. In 1985, the Government commissioned Wesha power station to replace Tibirinzi power station, with three diesel generators sets of 1.5MW each. To date, Pemba Island connected with national grid by Sub marine cable from Pangani via Majani Mapana Tanga to Ras Mkumbuu Pemba, with the capacity of 20MW, 33kV.
The State Fuel and Power Corporation (SFPC) was established in 1964 under the then Ministry of Water, Construction, Land and Environment by Presidential Decree No. 12 of 1964. It was made responsible for managing the power stations and providing services on both islands. Sector reform under the Act No.3 of 2006 transferred regulatory issues from the utility to the parent ministry and established the Zanzibar Electricity Corporation (ZECO) thereby replacing ZSFPC to facilitate the generation, transmission, transformation, distribution, supply and use of electricity in the Islands of Zanzibar.
ZECO is 100% owned by the Government through the Ministry of Land, Housing,Water and Energy, which assumes a supervisory role to the Corporation. The Corporation is governed by the board of directors, appointed by the Government who supervise the ZECO management and ensure the implementation of the Government’s policies. ZECO is expected to provide reliable and affordable electricity in Zanzibar, as an important input in boosting economic growth and social development in the isles.